As the news about COVID-19 continues to rapidly unfold, here is a personal update on what Home Start is doing in response to the COVID-19 situation.
The safety and well-being of the children and families we serve each day, our employees, and our community remain our top priorities.
As such, along with guidance and recommendations from the Department of Public Health, the CDC and other governmental agencies, we are closely monitoring and taking the following proactive steps:
- Our services for vulnerable children and their families will continue, and we are working diligently to ensure that proper health and safety measures are in place.
- The families we serve are among those most at risk of crisis on a day-to-day basis without the added complications of a pandemic.
- That is why our staff are committed to managing our housing programs, providing therapy services, and distributing crucial resources such as food and hygiene items.
- We are actively implementing tele-medicine / phone technology options whenever possible to continue providing critical therapy and safety sessions traditionally done in our families’ homes.
- Our Blue Ribbon Extravaganza, scheduled for Saturday April 18th, has been re-scheduled for Saturday, June 27th.
- Provisions have been made for select staff to work from home when possible.
- To ensure that every employee has adequate sick time available to take time off when sick, Home Start has provided every employee with an additional 40 hours of emergency sick time and provided each new employee with 40 hours of emergency sick time at the time of hire.
- Our volunteer program and tours have been temporarily suspended.
Here is what you can do to protect yourself and your loved ones, as well as how you can help serve those most in need during these extremely difficult times.
- Stay informed on COVID-19 facts from reliable sources so that you can be proactive in keeping yourself and your loved ones healthy. https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/coronavirus
- Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds.
- Maintain social distancing from non-family members you may come in contact with.
- Please make a gift today to provide resources needed for our staff to continue serving vulnerable children and families.
- View and donate essential items for our families on our Amazon wish list.
- Please use Amazon Smile (amazon’s charitable giving portal) and select Home Start as your non-profit beneficiary when ordering online in the coming weeks.
My staff, our dedicated Board of Directors, and I continue to monitor the situation and make changes accordingly with the health and safety of our clients and staff always at the forefront. Together, we will come out of this situation stronger while still working towards our vision for all children in San Diego to have a safe, stable, and nurturing home.
As always, please take good care of yourself and your loved ones,
Laura Tancredi-Baese, LCSW
Chief Executive Officer, Home Start, Inc.