Home Start is in the community working to strengthen families every day. You can change the life of a child and help stop the cycle of abuse and neglect with a variety of volunteer opportunities.
Volunteers that donate their time regularly are the backbone of our organization!
- Thrift Boutique: Various tasks are available for volunteers: sort donations, sales assistance, repair jewelry, test electronics, rewire lamps, and more!
- Front Desk/Greeter: Welcome clients and guests, help with phone-screening, and have a great experience helping those in need!
- Administrative/Office: Do you have a knack for data entry and spreadsheets? Multiple programs could use help with administrative tasks.
- Skilled Volunteers: If you have a special interest or skill you want to further develop, such as Human Resources, Development, Finances and Management, you can use it to help those in need!
- Social Media Specialist: Utilize social media insights to plan and create relevant content that aligns with our mission.
Throughout the year, we host fundraisers, events, and projects – and you can be a part of it! Have fun while helping us raise much-needed funds for Home Start!
- April: Blue Ribbon Gala
- October: Hallo-Wine Fall Festival
Volunteering as a group is a fun and rewarding way to help the community. Either with your family, friends, classmates, or work colleagues, group volunteering improves teamwork and bonding! To learn more about the opportunities and group recognition, please click here.
- Donation Sort: Sorting through generously donated items such as clothing, books, housewares, small appliances, and furniture.
- Wishlist Drive: Collect much-needed items at your school, workplace, or neighborhood.
- Special Projects: Plan one-day activities, such as painting, craft day, dinner, summer fun activities for the kids.
2018/2019 Volunteer Tax Program
Home Start helps low-income families to prepare their tax returns – for free! This access to Free Tax Assistance can be crucial for families with low-income. The average family tax return can cost about $200 and for a family barely making ends meet, that could mean the difference between groceries for the week or not.
We will be opening locations come mid-January in Central and East San Diego. Training will be provided and you don’t need previous experience. The training is made simple and the software Home Start uses will set you up to feel confident while filing taxes, even if you have never done taxes before.
- Front Desk Liaison: Welcome everyone visiting the site and create a pleasant atmosphere. Screen taxpayers to determine the type of assistance they need and confirm they have the necessary documents to complete their tax returns.
- Interpreter: Assist with translation of tax return between taxpayer and tax preparer.
- Data Reviewer: Review data from tax documents and double check that it has been correctly transferred to the return.
- Certified Tax Preparer: Trained and certified as an IRS Tax Preparer and in tax law to assist taxpayers with their income tax preparation.
If you are interested in learning how to prepare income taxes, gaining valuable work experience and helping families in need, click here to be included in the emailing list – all the information you need will be there!
Want to use a special skill or have a great idea that is not listed above? Contact us and we can create a special project for you or your group!
For more information on volunteering, please email email@example.com or call 619.692.0727 ext. 103
Want to volunteer? Sign up here!
For further information regarding the California Volunteers Service Enterprise Initiative, please visit: www.CaliforniaVolunteers.org