Home Start is in the community working to strengthen families every day. You can change the life of a child and help stop the cycle of abuse and neglect with a variety of volunteer opportunities.
Note: As a social service agency, volunteers are subject to background check. Certain positions also require a TB clearance.
Volunteering as a group is a fun and rewarding way to help the community. Either with your family, friends, classmates, or work colleagues, group volunteering improves teamwork and bonding!
- Food Distribution: 3 times a month the volunteers help set up and hand out food donations for the families in need. Groups are welcome to join!
- Donation Sort: Sorting through generously donated items such as clothing, books, housewares, small appliances, and furniture.
- Host a Drive: Collect much needed items at your school, work place, or neighborhood.
Become a Volunteer Income Tax Assistant (VITA) with Home Start and help low-income families and individuals!
- Front Desk Liaison: Welcome taxpayers as they arrive and ensure they have all their tax documents. Manage walk in flow and appointments.
- Interpreter: Assist with translation of tax return between taxpayer and tax preparer.
- Data Reviewer: Review data from tax documents and double check that it has been correctly transferred to the return.
- Certified Tax Preparer: Free training for State and Federal Tax Returns Volunteers to assist taxpayers with their income tax preparation.
Throughout the year, we host fundraisers, events, and projects – and you can be a part of it!
- April: Blue Ribbon Gala
- October: Hallo-Wine Fall Festival
- December: Toy Drive and Distribution
Have fun while helping us raise much needed funds for Home Start! In each event we need volunteers for Set Up, Check In, Check Out, Silent Auction, Live Auction, and Clean Up after all the fun.
Volunteers that donate their time regularly are the backbone of our organization!
- Food Distribution: Join us to hand out food for families in need! Our food distributions are 3 times a month on week days.
- Thrift Boutique: Various tasks are available for volunteers, from sorting items and pricing, to customer service. Scheduled from Tuesday through Sunday between 11:00 am and 6:00 pm.
- Garage Sales: One Saturday a month we open the backdoors of the Thrift Boutique for a garage sale, from 7:30am to 1pm, and we are in need of helping hands!
- Front Desk/Greeter: Welcome clients and guests, help with phone screening, and have a great experience helping those in need!
- Administrative/Office: Do you have a knack for data entry and spreadsheets? Multiple programs could use help with administrative tasks.
- Filing: If you have a few hours a month to help and are interested in organization and filing, this is the place for you!
- Childcare: Be an on-call babysitter and support our clients by allowing parents to focus on Home Start’s classes while you take care of their children.
Want to use a special skill or have a great idea that is not listed above? Contact us and we can create a special project for you or your group!
For more information on volunteering, please email email@example.com or call 619.692.0727 ext. 103
For further information regarding the California Volunteers Service Enterprise Initiative, please visit: www.CaliforniaVolunteers.org